Prototyped a lighting engine entirely made from paper for a study desk, with close consideration to color of light, proximity to user, intensity of illumination and more.
December 2018 (4 weeks)
Varying factors that affect lighting
When someone brings a gift to a house party, it is difficult to find packaging that holds a balance between aesthetics and utility to bring a satisfying gift but also be able to protect and transport the object.
Creating the right lighting for a specific place
I had to create a light specific for doing a project on a desk. Therefore, I had to consider multiple factors such the height of the light, angle, color to create a suitable product.
Researching about different types of lighting
I had to create a light that suited a specific environment, doing a project on a desk. There were many factors to consider such the height of the light, angle, color to create a good product.
I started paying more attention to the lighting around me to see the different ways each light is created. For example, if it was a wall light, then there would be some fixture that spreads the light out, and cool colored bright light allowed an individual to stay more focused.
This was a good start to the project and it got me thinking about the ways I could project light for a user working at a desk. After sketching out my ideas, I found that it would be better if the lighting was on a desk in order for and user to be able to adjust the angle of lighting easily. I focused on these elements and created prototypes to help understand how the angle functions.
Prototyping function and form
This was the final prototype. I wanted to focus on geometric designs or platonic shapes since it created a more professional look to fit a studying environment. The head of the lamp could be adjusted to tilt downwards or horizontally. However, the form was not cohesive. The head and the body of the lamp seemed like two pieces placed together.
I followed the geometric theme, and focused more on integrating the form to create a harmonious structure.
interesting: the polyhedra has many faces and grabs attention
has diagonal light
tall enough to light table
head and body is not very together yet
cohesive head and body forms: diagonals that connect head and body
clean look: only 2 shapes from the side
angled light to the table
too low to the table
doesn’t hide socket
could be too simple: only two forms
I found this project to be difficult at first because there were multiple facets I had to consider (the context, different aspects of the actual light, and the physical lamp, aspects of paper) and how they all had to be compatible with each other.
However, from this, I learned how to critically think through tough problems and the methods I should take to find a solution. I need to evaluate what worked and didn’t and progress from past mistakes or experimentation and carry this knowledge to my next solution.